Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Book of Mormon

Well, things are going great for me and Elder Brito. Yup, we live in the same house[that I have been in for a while] and I graduated from sleeping on the floor to a broken bed. So I can't complain, I'm off the ground. Things were good this week. It was a little slow because I had to travel again and so I gots no monies left because of all the bus tickets I had to buy. But we had 2 baptisms this week. Ederson and Monica. They are both 15 years old ish. They are kids of a member in the ward. It was funny how we found them. It was a day when nothing good was happening and I had some random address written in my planner. So we decided to visit the address. Come to find out that it was the address of this member and that's where we found their 2 kids. It was neat to see that even when everything is falling apart Heavenly Father is there to help you.
Renato, that guy that got shot in the face 5 times, was interviewed yesterday and passed. So he will be baptised this week. It's amazing to see how the Gosple changes the lives of others. This guy did it all; drugs, sex, rock and roll and got shot 5 times in the face. He has lived a hard life but is grateful for what the Gosple is doing with his life now. He has totally become a different person. We are going to work with his mom this week to try and get her interested
In the e- mail this week of President Pickett he includes some amazing facts about the Book of Mormom that I wanna share with you guys, its in Portuges so you're gonna have to translate it.

Translated:

"1. Even though the Prophet Joseph Smith, in general, had the plates from September 1827 until June 1829, the translation of the book was done in about 65 days - this would be a little less than 10 pages translated per day!
2. It was translated by someone who had not had an education - the family was extremely poor and was unable to raise children who went to formal school. Emma Smith, once shared with some people that Joseph was unable to write a letter, much less able to write a book!
3. The Book of Mormon:
a. 54 chapters dealing with the wars of the people
b. 21 chapters telling the story of the people
c. 55 chapters of visions and prophecies
d. 71 chapters of doctrine
e. 21 chapters dealing with the ministry of Jesus Christ
4. The book teaches the doctrines of the gospel taught in the Bible in a way that is clearer and easier to understand.
5. Since the day that the book was published, we discovered several things in South America and Central America that support things taught in the book! These things were things that the world did not recognize at the time of translation of the book.

With better understanding of all these facts, it is very difficult to understand why some people think it was Joseph Smith who wrote the book instead of translating it by the power and authority of God. Think about the complexity of writing such a book. All chapters that talk about teaching, the ministry of Jesus Christ and the history of the people would have to be quite constant with the doctrines in the Bible teaches. Would it be possible for a man incapable of writing a coherent letter to complete a job like that? Surely the answer is 'no'.

In the Book of Mormon, while it was being translated, the Prophet Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery learned that three special witnesses would be chosen to see the plates and other sacred things (see Ether 5:2-4, 2 Nephi 11:3, 2 Nephi 27:12). Through a revelation to the Prophet Joseph Smith (see D & C 17), the three witnesses were chosen - Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and Martin Harris. They were given instructions about the things that they would be privileged to see:

"Behold, I say unto you, that you must rely upon my word, which if you do with full purpose of heart, you shall have a view of, and also of the breastplate, the sword of Laban, the Urim and Thummim, which were given to the brother of Jared upon the mount, when he talked with the Lord face to face, and the miraculous directors which were given to Lehi while in the wilderness, on the borders of the Red Sea. "[ie, the Liahona]. (D & C 17:1).

Early in the book, shortly after the introduction, we have the testimony of these three witnesses. The very interesting thing is that all three, soon after when problems with in Kirkland, strayed from the Church. It is very difficult to understand how men with special and spiritual experiences could move out of the Church. For us, this is more a warning that none of us is beyond the power of Satan and we must always strengthen our testimonies through study, prayer, fasting, etc. to avoid the temptations of Satan. It is critical to recognize that none of these three men in any way renounced his testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the things that were seen by a visit from an angel. Oliver Cowdery stayed away from church for ten years (1838-1848) but in the end returned and was reinstated with Church members. David Whitmer, after leaving the Church, never returned to be with the members. But he often testified about that he saw the plates and the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and his testimony about the book was written on his tombstone! Martin Harris; just before Martin died, he returned to the Church. Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer, Martin Harris never denounced thier testimony in the book.

Surely this is not something that should be shared with all investigators but those who are more open to receiving inspiration. Share these facts with those investigators who would be empowered to learn more about the Prophet and the translation of the Book of Mormon.

I testify that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is our responsibility to obtain a strong testimony and live so the Spirit can testify through us to our investigators. For me, it's quite simple - the book is true, the Prophet Joseph Smith was a prophet and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the church of Christ - the only true and living church on earth today. We will testify this with all our hearts. This is my prayer for each one of you. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

I am starting the Book of Mormon over again and I can really see that it is a true book. It just makes sense.
If the Book of Mormon is a true book, then Joseph Smith was a true prophet and the church that he restored is the true church. Plain and simple. If we want to know if the Church is true all we have to do is gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, and if we gain a testimony of the book, everything makes sense. I am proud to say that I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I know it is a true book and that through its teachings we can better our lives as children of God. I know this because I read the book and I asked God.
I want you all to know that this book is true. I challenge all of you to read this book and not just read it, but READ IT, LIVE IT, PRAY IT, FEEL IT. Do everything you can to understand the book and you will be eternally blessed.

I love you all :) and I can't wait til' general conference :)
Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers

About Me

Elder Wyatt Matthew Manis Provo Missionary Training Center 2005 N. 900 E Provo, UT 84604 USA